Monday, May 14, 2012

Sally Smart @ GOMA

I had the opportunity to see the new exhibition at GOMA* the other day...
Contemporary Australia: Women... and it was magnificent. The lovely Christina 
had recommended it and her fine eye for fabulosity was right on target again :)
There were many amazing Australian women artists featured (I was really chuffed 
to see a couple of artists included in the exhibition whose work I had purchased 
when it was more affordable!)... Okay, sorry to brag, but that's never happened 
to me before so a big *gasp* moment for me :)

The piece that really blew me away though was Sally Smart's installation,
Artists Dolls #1 - 10. I love her work and this particular piece with its graphic 
modernist energy had me worshipping at the altar yet again. Constructed mainly 
from wood, fabric, and paint & ink on canvas and cardboard, the forms have playful 
names like Puppen Dada, Puppen Punk Face, Drawing Face / Trickster, and (my 
favourite) Balance...







If you can get to see this exhibition I so hope you do... it's very worth it :)
Contemporary Australia: Women is on at GOMA until 22nd July 2012.

*For those who may not already know... GOMA is the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane... 
quite possibly THE most gorgeous artspace in the world with THE most fascinating and 
wonderous exhibitions ;)

*gasp* artists are Natalya Hughes and Sandra Selig.


All images © Kylie Hunt

5 comments:

  1. i need to go!!! wonderful images kylie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIVINE stuff! Better check this Sally out some more....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could go! Really exciting artwork!XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look very nice! wish i could drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me.

    Nonetheless, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!


    Look into my blog - outward hound

    ReplyDelete